The Dawn of a New Generation: The Historical Evolution of Inter-Generational Conflict and Cooperation in Korean American Organizational Politics (Working Paper #55)

Angie Y. Chung, Center for Comparative Immigration Studies

Abstract: Drawing on these previous works and my own research data, the purpose of this article is to trace the historical evolution of Korean American organizations in Los Angeles within the context of ethnic power structures and to explore the various dimensions of inter-organizational conflict and cooperation as they have affected community politics in the post-1992 Los Angeles Riots era. While I argue that ethnic political structures in Koreatown have been formatively shaped by a variety of cultural, structural, and historical forces, my work emphasizes the central presence of what I call the traditional “ethnic elite”2 in influencing community discourse and determining the lines of conflict and cooperation in ethnic politics. In this study, “ethnic elite” refers to individuals and groups that occupy a higher status within the political infrastructures of an ethnic community because of their greater access to the human, financial, and/or social capital resources3 of that community.

Working Paper #55»