U.S. Relations with Mexico and Central America, 1977-1999 (Working Paper #10)

Marc Rosenblum, University of California – San Diego

Summary: I investigate four predictions about immigration policy-making in this chapter. First, I expect, in general, that the president and migrant-sending states actively seek to influence U.S. immigration policy. Second, to the extent that presidential and sending states preferences conflict with Congress’s, I expect that the president and sending states will be more influential when immigration is central to bilateral relations and bilateral relations are central to U.S. foreign policy goals (i.e., the foreign policy value of immigration is high), and that Congress will have more influence when the domestic salience of immigration is high. Third, I expect the while Congress may be relatively successful at influencing official immigration policy, the president may make substantively important changes during the enforcement of immigration policy. Finally, specific characteristics of the immigration issue area and/or the type of policy response may also privilege one or another actor.

Working Paper #10»